This curry is NOT spicy. It's very mild and super yummy. It would be a lovely for those looking to try Indian food for the first time. This recipe is actually a hybrid of two recipes I've used before. Both are good on their own, but I think the combo of the two is superior to either one by its self. The source recipes are "Indian Curry" from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow and "Sweet Potato Curry-in-a Hurry" from Rachel Ray's 365: No Repeats.
Sweet Potato Indian Curry
2 generous Tablespoons curry paste (I used Biryani curry paste by Taste of India)
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup mango chutney
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (do NOT use light. It won't taste the same)
2 lbs chicken tenders
2 medium- size sweet potatoes, peeled, halved length-wise and sliced into half moons
1 white onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 indian eggplants or 1/2 regular eggplant, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro, for garnish
* in a 6 quart crockpot, combine curry paste, ginger, garlic, mango chutney and coconut milk and stir to combine.
*add chicken to sauce and toss to coat
*add sweet potatoes, onion , bell pepper, and eggplant to crock
*cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible
*add peas, salt, and pepper during last 30 minutes of cooking
*serve over rice, garnished with cilantro
I thought this was even better the next day. All the flavors had melded well and it reheats nicely
I've been wanting Indian food lately, and now that it's crockpot season, this seems perfect. I'm gonna make this this weekend.
ReplyDelete