I've been watching the Food Network's new show: Sandra Lee's Money Saving Meals and I love it. She talks a lot about how to save money on food and when the "splurge" and when not to. The recipes themselves are in traditional Sandra Lee style which is "semi-homemade", super simple and truly not too much actual cooking involved mostly assembling with a few bits of cooking thrown in.
Just to whet your appetite for the show (no pun intended), yesterday she made 3 vegetarian meals: a pasta dish, black bean "burgers" with fries, and pizza with a chickpea salad. Plus she showed you how to use the leftovers from the salad to make a new meal so maybe you can stretch the 3 meals to 4 and the grand total for all 4 meals was under $20! That's not per meal, that's for all 4! Unbelievable! Next week I think I'm going to make all 4 just to see if I can do it too. So if you find yourself with half an hour free on Sundays, check it out.
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have caught pieces of the show, and it does look interesting. I like how she breaks down the costs and savings. Her stuff does seem doable.
ReplyDeleteI really want to see that show, but that day & time don't really work for me. I'll probably look it up online someday soon. I'm still too in love with Cook Yourself Thin to do any other recipes though. :)
ReplyDeleteFYI-I was gonna make the cook yourself thin vanilla cupcakes but didn't want to use almonds because they are super expensive. I was able to use the same exact recipe, and just replace the almonds w/ 1/3 cup of oil and the calorie count remained the same! I think they just wanted to come up with something to wow us and make us think they had found a secret weapon or something when really, there is no need. Sure they are probably healthier w/ almonds, but John says that if you are making dessert, it doesn't need to be healthy! Anyway, just wanted to pass that on and maybe save you a buck or two. :)
ReplyDelete